From The Measure of My Days by Florida Scott-Maxwell
“We are people to whom something important is about to happen. But before then, these endless years before the end, can we summon enough merit to warrant a place for ourselves? We go into the future not knowing the answer to our question… Yet it is the end of our procession through time, and our steps are uncertain” (706).
Word Count: 266
This author’s writing style has been very different than most we have read so far. Her writing was very philosophical, encapsulating her deepest thoughts about life. Ruminating about every little detail and question that went on in her head, opened my mind to these kinds of thoughts as well. Her statements started off strong, each going deeper and deeper until they ended in a question which brought up another new thought. Her way of thinking and writing seemed to show her identity as a person because of how much she went into detail about how she thought. I think a lot of her story deals with her talking about old age and what she has learned from her life and appreciating her age. I think that her writing was targeted toward a young audience because it seems as if she is talking to share wisdom and make people think about life. Something that a lot of younger people don’t really do as they aren’t in fear of death anytime soon. For example, the quote I chose from the text shows how she is almost giving advice to her readers and making them think about how uncertain life can be.
I did not think of this author being one for younger audiences until you pointed it out. I like this angle that you've found for her writing and writing style.
ReplyDelete