From “Dairy” by Anne Frank
“Don’t condemn me; remember rather that sometimes I too can reach the bursting point” (285).
“But it often makes my head swim if I’m jumped upon too much, and then on top of that have to think about all those other miseries” (291).
After reading many excerpts from Anne Frank’s diary I have come to an understanding as to why they are so talked about and recognized. It was amazing to read the thought process of such a young teenager during such a traumatic event in history. She had such an imagination, writing to her imaginary friend kitty, and being able to express and acknowledge her feelings throughout her time hiding with her family. When reading, you can recognize that she went through similar internal struggles as other adolescence do in these teenage years. She experienced feeling like she had to compete with her sister, the struggle of a mother-daughter relationship, and always trying to get approval and love from her father. Her words were often very inspiring with what traumatic event was going on, but she seemed to be in her own imaginative world in the attic. I feel as though her diary was a way for her to escape from what was going on outside of where she and her family were hiding. She got to write to someone everything she was unable to express to her family and the others who were hiding with them. The drawings from this diary showed every struggling or happy thought she had in her time there. As such a young girl, I found it very inspiring how aware she was of her situation, and it did not seem like it let her stray away from her true emotions and wants in life. She seemed very self-aware and intelligent, so I found this might be the reason why her words are taught by so many.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your blog post and I, too, understand why her diary entries were such a great hit for historic reasons. Her immigration and hiding experience was so traumatic to not only her and her family, but also all of the jewish community. Reading her entries were so intriguing because she gave the raw details on how she was living through such a detrimental time in history. There was not much she could do during these two years, so I agree with you when you say this could have been an escape for her. I remember reading the whole Diary of Anne Frank novel as a kid and it still had the same astonishing impact as it did then on me now.
ReplyDeleteI love your post and how you discussed her imagination and how unique she was. The drawing she made displayed a sense of hope as well as the sense of despair as they were hiding. Even though she was hiding for her safety, she remained self-motivated to stay educated. I like how you bring up the fact that she was "very self-aware, as she makes the best of her situation while staying away from the stagnant lifestyle they were already in.
ReplyDelete