From “The Italics Are Mine” by Nina Berberova
“Never in the whole course of my life have I been able to free myself of this, and even now I think that an anthill is better than a nest, that there those near you warm you less…”
Word Count: 253
Throughout this chapter, I was intrigued by how Nina put life into perspective. At the begging of the chapter, she talked about how when she was ten years old, she thought it was necessary for her to choose a profession quickly. I think this is interesting because when I was ten, that wasn’t something I was thinking about. Her life story was really inspiring in how she grew up very poor but was still inspired to become a poet. Everything she has gone through must have made her think in terms of the quote. She talks about how she sympathizes with those who leave their nest even if they flee to somewhere much more crowded, they can be more aware of the world and themselves. In my opinion, since she strived to be alone that’s where she got most of her ideas for writing and was able to inspire people with her wisdom from the hardships of her life. It’s interesting that the simple pleasures a lot of people enjoyed in life like Christmas trees, candles, and crackers were things that she found to be very unpleasant because it was a symbol of the “nest” to her.
Comments
Post a Comment